Sunday, August 30, 2015

Back in the Saddle Again

Greetings friends,

I have been away far too long in more ways than one. But anyone who has ever gone to college and graduate school in particular knows what the last semester can be like. In a word - stressful. And for some of us eating and comfort foods get us through the difficult periods. Such as what has happened to me for the past two months. But I have come out of that period renewed and a new commitment to Paleo and the Paleo Process.

Now that I don't spend every waking moment in hospital either from internship or employment, I can be back on track to the lifestyle and hopefully encourage others to do the same. During this period I fell back into my old habits of eating, sleeping, and exercise. All of which have confirmed that for me Paleo is the way to go.

While I did not regain the weight I had lost since beginning to follow the Paleo diet, I had to count calories to do so. I did not consume processed sugar but did hit the convenient processed foods because time was so limited. How did that make me feel you ask? Slow and sluggish at times. But then again I wasn't resting as well as before. At first I started with corn chips with my tuna salad, which led to bread and cheese my old standbys. Before the bloating was back full force along with my former gastric issues. After a full 10 days of documenting and observing, I knew I needed to climb back up that saddle of Paleo.

After literally just one week, the recent pounds were gone, my energy levels back up, and resting better than ever.  I don't know how well Paleo works for anyone else; I can only speak from my own personal experience.

Now with my renewed commitment to the lifestyle, I want to recreate my Louisiana family dishes to be Paleo versions. My newest one is Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo. I make the roux with coconut flour and served with cauliflower rice. I thought it was an excellent recreation. My family loves gumbo when football season begins, and now I can enjoy the tradition as well.

What family favorites have you revised to make Paleo?

Bon Appetit!!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment