Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Importance of Reading Labels

I realize it has been a month since my last entry. Life has interfered. But I have learned some very important things in the last month.

As I initially began this process by becoming gluten/dairy/ refined sugar free, the Paleo aspects just sort of happened. So I conducted a little test to see what would happen should I reintroduce grains back into my diet. The grains selected where that of corn and rice. Because of my love for all things Mexican, corn tortillas were the food of choice. No gastric distress noted. But a shift upward the scale for sure. Rice had pretty much the same results with little difference between white or brown. Verdict: I can safely eat corn and rice, but I will probably regain my lost weight.

I moved onto the legume family. I cannot get any coconut or almond yogurt where I live. I can find fruit flavored versions of Silk Soy yogurt. They don't have any negative affects on my intestinal tract. I knew this from earlier trials. I have consumed other legumes in the forms of Amy's Kitchen products, canned and frozen. Again no gastric distress noted.

So I think I am relatively safe to occasionally eat some non-Paleo foods and not worry about pain, discomfort, or embarrassment. But beware of hidden forms of distress.

I will buy snack bars to put in my lunch pouch for quick bites during my long shifts at the hospital. I have been judicious about reading the contents for Paleo approved ingredients. I guess I missed something really important on a particular bar the other day because about an hour after consumption, I was in dire straits. I reviewed the package and noted the 3 grams of fiber. I should have realized this was not something I should consume. There is something about the "added fiber" bars that causes such gastric distress for me. My guess is because it is a manufactured fiber not natural. Needless to say, a very painful, yet valuable lesson has been learned.

Morale of the story is: that until I live in a community that caters to the Paleo lifestyle, I can eat some non-Paleo foods, but at the risk of gaining weight. I will say I don't feel as energetic or healthy when I eat those particular carbohydrates.

But as I have said before, it's a process.

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment