Monday, May 11, 2015

Recent Developments or a Case for Badminton

I have been enjoying a long visit with my DH for the past few weeks. These long distance marriages can be challenging and rewarding at the same time. We make the most of every moment together time to say the least. And considering he does not follow the Paleo lifestyle, I tend to not stay as strict as I would otherwise.

That being said I have come to realize a couple of things over the past few meals together. Eating out can be tedious to insure there is no gluten hidden inside. I have learned that my gut will tell what my server could not confirm. You are safest with the big chains of eateries if you select the simplest foods. Fast foods should be avoided at all costs, but you can still dine without gastric distress later.

I now know I can safely eat the tacos at Moe's because there is no flour in their tortillas or taco shells. Texas Roadhouse and Chili's have a variety of entrees to choose from as well. I tend to choose grilled steaks, chicken, and chili that does not have beans. I also will have a sweet potato for dessert.

So as you can see, you can go on vacation and not sacrifice your Paleo or gluten/dairy free lifestyle. Just ask questions and read through the menu and put together what you find the most appealing.

Life with family and friends is meant to be enjoyed. Just because you have chosen to eat differently does not mean the quality of time together should be altered. Perhaps instead of family events centering around food, (which in the South what else is there?) you could find an activity to enjoy. Some families play golf or tennis. Mine does not. Mine likes watching sports such as football, soccer, rugby, and car racing. I am thinking of putting up a badminton net in the yard and teaching them to play. I have a friend who is living in Singapore and talks about playing tournaments at his local gym. When I was in college in the 70s, the PE department offered the sport as a class to meet the requirements for a degree. Hands down the most popular class. Not only did it fill up first, the instructors allowed us to play well into the afternoon, so that those who could schedule the class could still participate. Good times.

Yesterday was Mother's Day. I hope you had quality time with your family. I know I did. My time with my DH has come to an end. There is a possibility of a teaching position for the coming academic year. It was my goal to become a nursing instructor upon completion of my master's degree. Keeping positive thoughts.

In the meantime, I plan to begin a running program this week. We'll see how it goes.

K.




No comments:

Post a Comment