Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Spring Cleaning

Peering into my fridge Sunday evening, I decided to do a sweep before heading to the market on Monday. The results were absolutely delicious. First I made an cream of asparagus soup that shouts "Spring is here!" I have discovered that when one chooses to follow a Paleo lifestyle, eating becomes an art form. I perused the web for suggested ways to prepare such a dish and then created my own based on what I had on hand.

I roasted the asparagus for about 30 minutes on  350 degrees. I always have coconut milk on hand. For protein I used some raw cashews which I soaked in the coconut milk in the blender while the asparagus roasted. I blended all together adding some salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, and tarragon. All dried spices. Once I added enough milk for my desired consistency, I transferred to a small pot to completely heat through. I would have taken a photo, but I ate the entire bowl before I realized I hadn't. Must remember then next time.

Yesterday I created a banana nut bread that even my non Paleo family members thought was delicious. I combed through several Paleo recipes and compared to what I had available and the result was perfect. I am often reluctant to bake because it seldom turns out like the picture. This one was spot on.

I started with the three very overly ripe bananas and five eggs. I beat them together until smooth. To the bowl I added the following: 4 tablespoons of melted coconut oil, 1 teaspoon each of baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla; 2 tablespoons of cinnamon, 1/2 cup of coconut flour, and 2 tablespoons of flaxseed flour. This was all mixed evenly and perfectly. Into the batter I added a handful of chopped walnuts. I greased a loaf pan, poured in the batter, evened it out, and placed in a 350 degree oven for 60 minutes or when the toothpick inserted came out clean. When there was about 20 minutes left, I placed a sheet of foil over the top to prevent burning. Something my home economics teachers taught me back in the 70's.

I cannot begin to describe how beautiful the loaf was when placed on the cooling rack. Allowed to completely cool before slicing resulted in easier slicing. The results were amazing if I do say so myself. But unfortunately  I failed to record the moment with a photo. I really must take the time in the future.

Now that spring is here, I vow to keep a cleaner fridge and stock only with Paleo appropriate items. I love the experimenting with different flavors and combinations. I am never bored and always satisfied..

But again the best part of my week was trying on a dress I wore ten years ago to discover it fit perfectly again. Easter frock? Check!!

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment