Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Pork Jambalaya



One of the best parts of Paleo is taking out the taboo foods and replacing with Paleo-approved ones. I discovered early into the process that replacement foods are typically vegetables that add a punch of vitamins. Which is probably why I feel so much healthier. Add a small salad and some fruit for dessert and the recommended 5 a day is no issue.

It's Mardi Gras time here in Louisiana which means Creole comfort foods are in order. (There's a lot of partying that goes on between Jan. 6 and Fat Tuesday.) One of my favorites is Jambalaya. A mixture of meat, tomatoes, spices, and rice. All Paleo acceptable with the exception of the fluffy white rice, a staple in Louisiana. Most Paleo sites substitute cauliflower when rice is called for. The instructions recommend grating the raw cauliflower then either steaming or sauteing. I chose to use take the roasted cauliflower I prepped on Sunday night and pulsed in the food processor until it resembled cooked brown rice. Perfect if I do say so myself.

I cooked the pork in my crock pot sprinkled with Cajun seasoning and enough water to make an ample amount of au jus. After the meat cooked long enough to fall off the bone and separate into something resembling shreds, I added a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes. I sprinkle in dried parsley, basil, garlic powder,and red pepper flakes, then stirred in the "rice". Add required number of splashes of Tabasco sauce.

Since this is my own creation, I will give a proper recipe.

Pork Jambalaya

2 pork blade chops
Cajun seasoning
water to cover pork
1 can Hunt's Fire Roasted tomatoes
dried parley and basil
garlic powder
red pepper flakes
1 headed of cauliflower, cut into florets and roasted,

To make roasted cauliflower:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut cauliflower into florets, place on parchment paper covered baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for30 minutes or until tender. Let cool, chop in food processor until resembles flakes of cooked rice. You can roast the cauliflower a couple of days in advance, but don't chop until ready to stir into pork/tomato mixture.

To make the pork, place pork blade chop into crock pot, sprinkle Cajun seasoning, and add enough water to cover chops. Heat on high for 6 hours. Once the meat is tender enough to break up with a spoon, remove blade bones. Add the can of tomatoes and the spices. Stir in the "rice". Dish into bowls. Add amount of Tobasco for the final touch.

Laissez les bons temps roulez!

K.


No comments:

Post a Comment